Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), is economic addition program of Government of India subject to an Indian citizen, that strives to grow and make an affordable way to financial services such as bank accounts, payments, credit, insurance, and pensions. This financial inclusion campaign was begun by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 28 August 2014. He had stated this scheme on his first Independence Day address on 15 August 2014.
Run by Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance, below this scheme 15 million bank accounts were initiated on inauguration day. The Guinness Book of World Records identified this accomplishment, declaring: “The most bank accounts started in one week as a part of the financial addition campaign is 18,096,130 and was completed by the Government of India from August 23 to 29, 2014”. By 27 June 2018, over 318 million bank accounts were opened and over ₹792 billion (US$12 billion) were kept under the scheme.
Table of Content:
- Jan Dhan Yojana
- Jan Dhan Account
- Jan Dhan Khata
- Banks offering Pradhanmantri Jan Dhan Yojana Account service
- Private Sector Banks Where You Can Open Jan Dhan Account
- PM Jan Dhan Yojana Documents
- Jan Dhan Yojana Account Form
- How To Check Jan Dhan Account Status
- Jan Dhan Yojana Benefits
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana Features
Jan Dhan Yojana
The scheme was begun by PM Narendra Modi on 15 August 2014. The slogan of the Plan is “Mera Khatha, Bhagya Vidhath” Jan Dhan Yojana was begun after the failure of previous such projects including Swabhimaan. Swabhimaan was a drive of the Government of India which strives to bring banking assistance to large rural areas. It was started by Sonia Gandhi, the Chairperson of the Congress party in the attendance of Shri Pranab Mukherjee, the Union Finance Minister, and Namo Narain Meena on February 10, 2011.
Jan Dhan Account
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) was started in August 2014 as a move towards overall financial inclusion. The goal was to assure that every individual/family should have at least one bank account. This would give each citizen path to not just banking means, but also many financial subsidies are given by the government. If you are interested in opening a Jan Dhan account, here is everything you need to know
Jan Dhan Khata
To open a Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account (BSBDA) with zero balance below PMJDY, you require to fulfill the below requirements:
- Be a citizen of India
- Age: 10 years and above
- Do not have a bank account
Banks offering Pradhanmantri Jan Dhan Yojana Account service
You can visit any of the below public-sector banks’ branch to open the Jan Dhan account:
– State Bank of India (SBI)
– State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
– State Bank of Hyderabad
– State Bank of Mysore
– State Bank of Patiala
– State Bank of Travancore
– Bank of Baroda (BoB)
– Andhra Bank
– Bank of Maharashtra
– Bank of India (BoI)
– Canara Bank
– Corporation Bank
– IDBI Bank
– Indian Bank
– Punjab National Bank (PNB)
– Central Bank of India
– Vijaya Bank
– Punjab & Sind Bank, Bank
– Syndicate Bank
– Dena Bank
– Allahabad Bank
– Union Bank of India
– Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC)
Private Sector Banks Where You Can Open Jan Dhan Account
– ICICI Bank Ltd.
– Axis Bank Ltd.
– HDFC Bank Ltd.
– Federal Bank Ltd.
– IndusInd Bank Ltd.
– ING Vysya Bank Ltd.
– Karnataka Bank Ltd.
– Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd.
– YES Bank Ltd.
– Dhanalaxmi Bank Ltd.
PM Jan Dhan Yojana Documents
To make KYC easy, an account can be started by giving any of the below documents:
- Driving license
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- Voter’s identity card
- Job card issued by NREGA approved by an officer of the State Government
- ID card with a photograph published by Central/State Government Departments, Statutory/Regulatory Authorities, Public Sector Undertakings, Scheduled Commercial Banks, and Public Financial Institutions; or a letter with a properly attested photograph of the person authorized by a Gazetted officer.
- If you do not have any real document, you can, however, open a ‘Small Account’ with the bank by presenting a self-attested photo and signing or giving a thumbprint in the port of a bank official.
Jan Dhan Yojana Account Form
On with any of the preceding documents, you must also present a duly filled application form. It is a single and small form that requires the following details to be filled in-
- Basic identification features like name, address, Aadhaar number, PAN, occupation
- Annual income
- Number of dependents
- Details of assets, if any
- Current bank account aspects of any family member/household
To download English form, visit https://www.pmjdy.gov.in/files/Forms/account-opening/English.pdf
To download Jan Dhan Khata Hindi form, visit https://www.pmjdy.gov.in/files/Forms/account-opening/Hindi.pdf
How To Check Jan Dhan Account Status
To monitor the status of your PMJDY account:
- visit http://pmjdy.net/. Click on the ‘Status Enquiry’ tab. Enter the reference number you got after presenting the documents to know the status.
- If needed, you can put a complaint by clicking the ‘Feedback/Information/Complaint/Suggestion’ tab and listing details.
- PMJDY has explained the account opening method to help more citizens to open their bank accounts and bring India closer to overall financial addition.
Jan Dhan Yojana Benefits
Special Benefits under PMJDY Scheme
- Interest on deposit.
- Accidental insurance cover of Rs. 2 lakhs
- No minimum balance needed.
- The scheme gives a life cover of Rs. 30,000/- payable on the death of the recipient, directed to the fulfillment of the eligibility criteria.
- Secure Transfer of money across India.
- Recipients of Government Schemes will get Direct Benefit Transfer in these accounts.
- After the adequate operation of the account for 6 months, an overdraft facility will be allowed.
- Entrance to Pension, insurance products.
- The Right following Personal Accidental Insurance under PMJDY shall be payable if the Rupay Cardholder has made a minimum one successful financial or non-financial customer transaction at any Bank Branch, Bank Mitra, ATM, POS, E-COM, etc. Channel both Intra and Inter-bank i.e. on-us (Bank Customer/Rupay card holder transacting at same Bank channels) and off-us (Bank Customer/Rupay card holder transacting at other Bank Channels) within 90 days previous to the date of accident including accident date will be added as eligible transactions below the Rupay Insurance Program 2019-2020.
- Overdraft facility up to Rs. 10,000/- is available in only one account per household, preferably women of the home.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana Features
- All households over the India- both rural and urban area to be included under the scheme. Bank accounts will be opened for 15 crore & more poor persons.
- All bank accounts started under the scheme are to have an overdraft means of Rs 5,000 for Aadhar-linked accounts following satisfactory operation in the account for 6 months.
- Issuance of RuPay Debit Card with inbuilt Rs 1 lakh personal accident insurance cover given by HDFC Ergo and a life cover of Rs 30,000 given by LIC.
- A minimum monthly payment of Rs 5,000 to business acquaintances who will be the last link between the account holders and the bank.